This page contains instructions for installing Theos and preparing a new project.
- A UNIX-based operating system (Mac OS X, iOS (jailbroken), and most variants of Linux should do)
- subversion or git
- Some form of a toolchain or official SDK
- Access to a terminal emulator and some knowledge of how to use it
- Objective-C knowledge
More detailed explanations of these requirements are given in the next section, and are dependent on the environment you use.
Setting Up Dependencies
For Mac OS X
Mac OS X comes with most of the necessary tools (subversion, curl, and perl) by default. You will still need compilation tools and the iOS SDK, and the easiest way to obtain both of these is by installing the official iOS SDK from Apple's web site. (You will have to register for a free developer account in order to download it.)
- Install the SDK.
To be written.
On Mac OS X or Linux
- Open a terminal window.
- Choose a location for Theos to be installed. If you are unsure, a good choice is /opt/theos.
- If you chose a location outside of your user's home directory, you will probably need to run some or all of the following commands with root permissions.
- Download the latest version of Theos:
- Using git:
git clone git://github.com/DHowett/theos.git $THEOS
- Alternatively, you can use svn, if you prefer:
svn co http://svn.howett.net/svn/theos/trunk $THEOS
- Using git:
- Download ldid to $THEOS/bin:
git clone git://git.saurik.com/ldid.git cd ldid git submodule update --init ./make.sh cp -f ./ldid $THEOS/bin/ldid
(On your iOS device:)
- Create a file at /etc/apt/sources.list.d/coredev.nl.list containing the following line:
deb http://coredev.nl/cydia iphone main
- Create a file at /etc/apt/sources.list.d/howett.net.list containing the following line:
deb http://nix.howett.net/theos ./
- Make sure APT 0.6 Transitional Package is installed before doing this step.As root, issue these commands (using either SSH or MobileTerminal):
apt-get install perl net.howett.theos
Note: Theos will be installed to /var/theos/ on your device, hereafter referred to as $THEOS in this guide.
Creating a Project
Theos lets you create new projects based on templates using the New Instance Creator (NIC). You do not need to be root to do this step, nor should you be. Start the NIC wizard using the following command:
NIC will prompt you for all the necessary information before creating a project.
Here is an example of what you will see when using the NIC to create a project (with user input shown in bold):
$ $THEOS/bin/nic.pl NIC 1.0 - New Instance Creator ------------------------------ [1.] iphone/application [2.] iphone/library [3.] iphone/preference_bundle [4.] iphone/tool [5.] iphone/tweak Choose a Template (required): 1 Project Name (required): iPhoneDevWiki Package Name [com.yourcompany.iphonedevwiki]: net.howett.iphonedevwiki Authour/Maintainer Name [Dustin L. Howett]: Instantiating iphone/application in iphonedevwiki/... Done. $
The above will create a folder ./iphonedevwiki in the current working directory - make sure you have permissions to create a folder.
If you need further assistance, or if you have other questions about Theos itself, feel free to connect to #theos on irc.saurik.com using your preferred IRC client.